Friday 15 May 2015

Zero calorie sweeteners

Fighting sugar cravings can really really really really make me crazy during the time of the month on my diet plan , so I looked into sweeteners to help me pull through that few days , if not roomie would report me to the hospital, primary complain would be maniac disorder or bipolar ?? 

Diabetasol , Equal , Splenda and Stevia are a few popular ones . They come in powder, granule and tablets forms. Taste wise all pretty much the same except stevia as it is from a natural source , naturally derived from a plant . I prrsonally don't like the taste of Stevia as I prefer sweetness to be more intense and this one does not gives me that in my tea. No syiokkkkk LAH . But then again , it is proven to be safe for pregnancy , especially for mothers that develop diabetes during their preganacy ( discuss the maximum amount of stevia to take with your doctor or pharmacist ) .Equal has the finest powder finishing , very important if you need to mix it into your drinks , iceeeee coldddd drinks ! If you only have hot drinks then any would do as they dissolve in hot drinks in no time .For tablets forms , most economical in the long run as they are refillable and you save the environment by producing less waste/ trash .

For diabetic patients , here is some advice that you may want to know. Patients on insulin injections and anti-hyperglycaemic tablets to manage their diabetes usually are not totally abstain from sugars . Doctors usually will advise them to do lifestyle modifications and reduce carbohydrate intake , or change to low GI index food to avoid the heavy load of glucose at a time so they are still taking carbohydrate and some sugar daily. If diabetic patients add on using sweeteners in their drinks, they would find that they have higher cravings for carbohydrate , making controlling diabetes harder . The difference here is that I am on a strict diet, totally NOT taking carbohydrate, so it's OK to have them in my drinks . So unless you are a diabetic patient also on Atkins diet , then you are the same with me ( and my fellow Atkins ) , otherwise these zero calorie sweeteners are NOT for you . 

After all , the name Diabetasol should really be changed LOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment