Sunday 23 August 2015

Great listener

I have a childhood friend recently had an incident that made her have a crying meltdown . It was extremely new to me as she has always seems so calm and cool towards anything . I guess everyone has a breaking point , and somehow the bullying doctor hit that point of hers. 

She went to a doctor lately for some advice on her mother's condition , and the end result was told can be resolved with surgery. So they agreed to go for the surgery without much hesitation . But what they did not expect was right after the surgery , the condition may look worse than before , in fact it will look unusual until it settles down after a month or few months . Right after the surgery they went straight back to the doctor in the evening on the day of discharge as it is a day surgery , the doctor was a little ticked off and started screaming at them saying it is NORMAL ( exclamation marks to the maximum ) . My friend said he gave both her and her mother a LECTURE about them not understanding the word NORMAL . Well I thought , from her side of story , he is definitely ABNORMAL  *lol* 

So poor friend of mine rang me up late night started sobbing and complaining her bad experience to me over the phone . After listening to her half sobs and half story , I figure that it's probably the summation of bad communication skills and heavy workload of the doctor in the clinic . That aside , but I think patients deserve the reassurance they need . I comforted her by saying he was a good doctor but just lacking communication skills and patience , but then again I don't know if I would do the same as the doctor if I was a doctor working in that kind of clinic and in This country of mine , Malaysia. Friend of mine then said she would boycott that doctor and I offered to go look for a new doctor with her . 

So this is what I do as a pharmacist , even before I was working in private sector . We cover doctors asses in the government hospital , we help each other and that way we could save lives together . I don't agree with pointing fingers , some doctors bad mouth that retail pharmacist starting customers on high blood pressure drug unethically , and some pharmacist says doctor just get paid to give out MC so patients get to be excused from work . Hey , I think our country has enough racial and political issue , we don't need another professional 'beefing' issue . 

To me that's plain stupidity . 

Don't you agree ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment